Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Thrifty or nifty?

This post is about choices: choices that you might make every day or once in a decade. But every choice is important, so here's my dilemma: do you choose to pay more for a quality item or get smth less, well how should I put it, well-fabricated or lower-grade and save money? I usually make the latter choice and suffer the consequences (yeah, the car I picked out was real cheap and broke down a week after I bought it etc), while Erik  tends to spend more money (even if he doesn't have it) but gets an item that he likes and that will generally last quite a while. I feel like the last year has been a good lesson for me: I had to make a few pretty important decisions and here's what came out of it.
#1 I bought a car. Yepp, for the first time in my life, I all by myself, spotted this yellow VW bug with great mileage and price, and insisted (I'm using a pretty mellow word here) on getting it. Since our old van started having heart attacks, my husband gave in and I drove it home. The thing broke down a week later. I had it fixed. And then it snowed... A two wheel drive with little weight and bald tires on ice... Man, that was one morning ride to work ! I still like my car but I would definitely never buy it. Nor do I want to drive in in winter. Even for really cheap:)
#2 We were blessed with free flights to Hawaii. Two weeks of vacation: we haven't had that since our honeymoon! So I set off to find a good (cheap, that is) rental in Kauai where we were spending the last 8 days of the trip. Erik took care of the first part and paid a little more than I wanted but the place in Maui he picked was beyond anything we expected. So after staying there we land in Kauai and drive around the island for a while. Finally it's getting late and I pull out the directions to the condo I rented (and paid in full for, got a great deal!) on the internet. We roll up to a two story building in a shabby residential area. "oh, we are just like the locals" I say, "this is gonna be great". I get out of the car and look up into a tree under which we parked: it's covered in cobweb. Well, I guess I'd better not stand under that tree for too long, I figured, nevermind that we rented an open-top Jeep.  I set off up the stairs and around the verandah to look for our condo. O'k then I had to duck my head and freak out for real: there were all sorts and sizes of spiders all around the building, on the rails, roof, BBQ, windows etc. Some of them were 3 inches wide! Just hanging there all perched up as if they were ready to get me. I ran inside with Erik coming up behind me. We called the owner of the rental, she said smth like "the spiders won't hurt you, that's a tropical island, they are not poisonous bla blah blah". Hippie, I thought with swelling bitterness deep in my heart. Then I looked in the bedroom area and saw a huge gap between the floor and the door with the bed right next to it. I think I started crying or smth, cuz the next thing I remeber we were checking in at Best Western for the night.
So the moral of the story is: I think I made a few bad choices which led to more expenses and turmoil than expected. But who doesn't deserve a second chance? According to Erik: his wife. Ding it, I just saw this great deal on a car... Would be perfect for snow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Marina,

Very interesting. I think you forgot to write about your cheap flight to Ukraine. :-)

MVision said...

oh yeah, that one too! But that was last year so technically it doesn't count.

Unknown said...

SO anyway what happened to your MAZDA? Why did you decided to buy a bug? :-)

MVision said...

Nooo, we've never had a Mazda. We have a Ford Windstar van which is very very sick. Last time we took it to the shop they couldn't even tell what was wrong.

MVision said...

And our good car is a Subaru, which Erik drives now. So I was hoping that the bug would be good too.