Thursday, May 10, 2007

Being a Patriot

Here are a few thoughts that were triggered by all of you guys regarding to the previous blog. Josh made quite a commotion with his big "America" statements and it made me think about my own feelings towards my countries and their people. Growing up in Ukraine I never gave much thought to patriotism, the ruins of our former communist country were still very fresh and after the system collapsed everything my parents were proud of did not exist any more.

In schools we were taught how great our country used to be and how precious it's heritage is, but when I saw people struggling for mere survival that whole talk did not make much sense. Looking back now I can say that I'm proud of Ukraine: I'm proud of it's people and history, of the courage and perseverance, of it's land and cultural heritage. But what does it mean to be a real patriot?

Does it mean that I think of Ukraine as the best, smartest and coolest country in the world? Do I despise other nations? Do I not recognize or ignore the country's downfalls and flaws?
No, I don't. For it's obviously not right and so I learn to love it despite it's fail to be the richest and most prosperous land, and I learn to love it's people although they might not be the friendliest and smartest nation on the planet (although we are probably in the top ten of the latter). See, for me to be a patriot means to love your country and be proud of it and be ready to stand for it and at the same time to respect other people's right to love and respect their country, not bringing everyone else down but to lifting them up.

I live in America now, and it is prosperous and it is cool. I lived in Germany and it was even more prosperous. I want to live in Costa Rica, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Brazil and a dozen other countries. Don't ask me how I'm gonna do it since life expectancy for women is about 70 years. But I want to do it because I admire how different we all can be and how fun it is to learn the differences and start understanding each other.

Josh, no offence, but your comments about America seemed somewhat arrogant and pridefull. I respect and admire US in many things that it's people achieved, but I do not think that it's fitting to declare the States the greatest of all. Aren't we supposed to be the citizens of Heaven? Seeking heavenly things where Christ is seated at the right hand if God? Humbly loving the world and thereby showing that there's more to have in Jesus? I was really surprised...

And just to remind you of a couple of things: the great influence that America has in peacemaking is sometimes prompted by how convenient or profitable it is to be the peacemakers. Welcoming of newcomers, ha! Try and go thru the immigration process, you'll change your mind. Religious freedom: well that's what is going to hurt you most! A Christian can't even put his foot on Saudi Arabia's soil, but you welcome all the Muslim freaks that bomb your cities. Affluence... is a good thing, but not when kept to ourselves.

So, my point in all of this is that we should humbly love each other and seek to first serve others and not declare ourselves the greatest. For last will be first in the Kingdom of God. We should be united in spite of being different (not that we can't make fun of each other and pick on one another, but we should do it in love). We should desire broken countries to be healed and it's people to be saved. And... we should be HUMBLY proud of our own countries! That's what I have to say.

20 comments:

Danny and Liese said...

Wow Marina, that was really well said. I often feel like you in that I'm proud to be American but I don't want to put down other countries in being proud and that I see that in a lot of ways my country isn't all that great.

I recently read CS Lewis's "the four loves" in which he wrote about loving one's country and how needed that patriotism is and yet how easily it can turn into pride and do evil things.

Thanks for writing all this - hopefully the commenters won't get too out of control. . .

Jake Knotts said...

I think we should stop talking about america or ukraine. It isn't helpful and only gets under peoples skin.

How's the weather in Bend these days?

MVision said...

Thanks, Danny! I appriciate it.
Jake, there are only two kinds of weather in Bend: winter and August. And both happen on the same day at times.

Unknown said...

Hey Marina!
So is it winter or August now? :)
Our good weather is gone and it's already really hot!!! I run to my car to turn on the air-conditioner!
So hot! But it's really nice and breezy at the beach! Why won't you come visit me?? :)
Anzhelika
P.S I am definitely not a patriot of Ukraine!

Jake Knotts said...

Anzhelika, are you an american patriot? Since you have abandened your heritage, I am about to get a PM-ZH and will take up Ukrainian pride in your place.

Andrew & Michelle Collup said...

Why do I know almost everyone on your blog!?! And I was totally joking about Jake. Well half of it anyways since I know his dad. You two want to go to inclimb this weekend?

Marina said...

Why am i not surprised to hear you're not a patriot, Angie? Booo!..

MVision said...

Hey, Andrew! Inclimb sounds good, but Erik is working on Saturday. Sorry we didn't get your gear back on Monday, we went to the mission's evening at Oasis. If you guys are gonna go give me a call #848 8878.

MVision said...

Anzhelika, watch out or Florida will drown after a hurricane!

Olya Velichko said...

I am thankful to you Marina that you brought up this subject.
I’ve been thinking a lot about it since I might be in the US soon.

God created the peoples this way. Why can not we just love one another without seeking differences and something cueer? Very often it is just ridiculous and can hurt.

"We must be global Christians with a global vision because our God is a global God." -- John Stott

Unknown said...

Hey Mrs. Koslow,
Snow looks good! But laying out at the beach, swim in the ocean and just enjoy the warm sun is SOOOOO much better...:) And Florida won't drown at least for another 100 years-enough for us!! :) Or we can move to Colorado! :) I liked it there in Aspen...
Jake-go ahead! As I've told you before I was never a true Ukrainian-my mom is 100% Russian and my Dad is 100% Russian. So it never was my heritage. I would say that I'm definitely not a patriot of Russia, which gives me a free choice to be a patriot of any country I want!! :)
O.K. guys need to run! Beach is waiting!! :) Jake, I'll say hi from you to surfers! :)

Cara Denney said...

Wow..you guys keep me from being bored.:) No easy answers here...I totally love Ukraine, always find myself saying "y nas v Ukraine" and have to catch myself...especially now from Prague. There are wonderful amazing things about both cultures, and sadly depressing things about both...because we have a wonderful amazing God and sadly we are depressingly diseased with sin...so until the cure is complete, and we stand on heaven's shores, we will battle with these limited fleshly perspectives of everything. love you Josh...love you Marina...the weather in Prague ROCKS! :)

MVision said...

Anzhelika! I'm checking flights to Melbourne, so be ready! And by the way my parents are not ukrainian either, but it doesn't mean that can say "whatever" to the country I grew up in.
Cara! We love you too!!! You are the only one except Danny and Liese that makes sound comments here.
Olya Velichko! Don't go to the east coast, west is way better! I miss you. Hope you can come and visit with us:)

Unknown said...

Hey Marina,
It's cheaper to fly in Orlando! It's only 1 hour from us and I can pick you up in the airport!!
Can't wait to see you!

Marina said...

Just a comment for Velichko! You love being spiritual & i love it about you. Though no one loves to make fun of both Ukrainians & Americans than you!!
And now i'm outta here!

Jake Knotts said...

Anzhelika,

You are Slavic and you should be proud. America has a bunch of glam and fleeting pleasures, nothing to attach your name too.

Long live Kiev Rus!

Marina said...

I meant "more than you"...

Olya Velichko said...

Padiy, I do love cracking jokes.
And it is great that we can make fun of ourselves.
I just think very often we get over the edge. And it is never good.

Jake Knotts said...

i'm a ukrainian, and a patriot. and i rip on america because its fun
anya

Unknown said...

Jake,

Ukraine has a bunch of glam and fleeting pleasures too. It doesn't matter where you live-it's all in your heart. And you can live your "American Dream" even in Ukraine...